The Mission of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine is to represent and protect the interests of Ukraine in the international arena and to facilitate a favorable international environment for the development and realization of the potential of Ukraine, its society and citizens.
The MFA’s primary goals and functions are determined by the Regulation on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine:
- development and implementation of the state policy in the field of foreign relations,
- providing by diplomatic means and methods protection of sovereignty and security, territorial integrity and inviolability of the borders of Ukraine, restoration of the territorial integrity within the internationally recognized borders,
- participation in the state’s policy-making process and its further implementation, aimed at European and Euro-Atlantic integration of Ukraine,
- development of cooperation with foreign states and international organizations,
- coordination of the state institutions’ activities to ensure realization of the single foreign policy of Ukraine.
The activities of the Ministry are guided by foreign policy priorities, which are established by the President of Ukraine, basic legislation in the field of external affairs and by the Action Program of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine.
The strategic priorities for the MFA’s activities are as follows:
- consolidating international efforts aimed at countering Russia’s ongoing armed aggression against Ukraine and securing unwavering international support for Ukraine on the restoration of her sovereignty and territorial integrity;
- promoting cooperation with key international partners;
- developing partnerships and a good neighbor policy with neighboring countries;
- protecting the rights and interests of Ukrainian citizens and legal entities of Ukraine abroad;
- supporting Ukrainian businesses abroad and attracting foreign direct investment (FDI);
- facilitating cooperation with the Ukrainian diaspora overseas and strengthening their rights in Ukraine;
- strengthening the international credibility of Ukraine, improving the country’s profile and attractiveness on the world stage and overcoming distorted and outdated stereotypes through the means of public and cultural diplomacy.