In accordance with the legislation of Ukraine, namely paragraph 2 of the Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of 19 March 2014 № 121, foreigners and stateless persons who temporarily reside or stay in the territory of Ukraine receive medical assistance on a fee basis unless otherwise specified by international agreements or laws of Ukraine. Сonsequently, foreign citizens who are staying in the territory of Ukraine must have medical insurance policy in order to receive medical assistance and /or conclude a contract with healthcare institutions in order to receive medical assistance.
1) If foreign citizens develop symptoms compatible with the infectious disease COVID-19, they can turn to the insurance companies and designated by them healthcare institutions (hereinafter HI) with which relevant contracts have been signed. The HI employees who work in the territory of Ukraine and have the relevant license of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine are well aware and informed about the algorithms for response to COVID-19, diagnostics and treatment of the disease, in accordance with the Ministry of Health orders №185, №292 and №552. Consequently, if a person is suspected of having the infectious disease COVID-19, he/she is sent to one of the designated infectious diseases hospitals according to the place of temporary residence of the patient. Two hospitals of this kind have been designated by local authorities in every oblast. The transportation of the patient can be done by the medical emergency team, which is appropriately prepared to transport such patients.
2) In case a foreign citizen is seeking emergency medical assistance related to the infectious disease COVID-19, the patient is also transported by the relevant medical emergency team to one of the designated infectious diseases hospitals. The provision of medical services and medicines connected with the providing of the emergency medical assistance is covered by the state budget under the medical services state insurances program (medical insurances program). At the same time foreigners or stateless persons who temporarily reside or stay in the territory of Ukraine are obliged to compensate the whole cost to the state in accordance with the law.
3) During the relevant testing for COVID-19 the patient must stay in hospital and can stay in isolation and under observation. The confirmation of the diagnosis of the infectious disease COVID-19 takes place in the reference laboratory of the state department “Centre for public health of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine” within approximately 24 hours from the moment of receiving specimens.
4) If the testing for COVID-19 is positive, the patient can remain in hospital and receive medical care and relevant treatment based on the contract on granting medical assistance.
5) In addition, representatives of public health institutions carry out the epidemiological investigation into the COVID-19 case and must collect the medical history of the patient to find out his/her contacts. The questioning of the persons the patient was in contact with is carried out through the employees of the embassy / consulate of the foreign state whose citizen the patient and the contact persons are.
6) In case of the patient’s refusal of hospitalization and treatment he must remain in quarantine (self-isolation) until full recovery and inform regularly about his state of health directly to the contact person in the HI to which the patient turned for medical assistance, or via the employees of the embassy / consulate of the foreign state whose citizen the patient is.
1 the Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of 19 March 2014 № 121 “On approving the Order of granting medical assistance to foreigners and stateless persons who temporarily reside or stay in the territory of Ukraine…”
The Ministry of Health of Ukraine requests the diplomatic missions and consular posts of foreign states, foreigners and stateless persons who temporarily reside or stay in the territory of Ukraine to support the measures aimed at preventing the spread of COVID-19 in the territory of Ukraine, identifying the patients and persons they were in contact with, providing medical care and raising awareness about the risks of spreading COVID-19.
Information resources regarding the COVID-19
Hot line on COVID-19: 08005055840
Answers to FAQ regarding COVID-19
Section on the Ministry of Health of Ukraine web-site
The Ministry of Health of Ukraine’s Chatbot
The Ministry of Health of Ukraine’s Telegram-channel